Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:40:37AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Some people ask for indexable encrypted columns, but I tend to explain to
> > them how impractical and inefficient that is. You can support hash indexes
> > if you don't salt the encrypted data, but that greatly weakens the
> > encryption by allowing attackers to use dictionary attacks and other brute
> > force techniques efficiently. And you can't support b-tree > and < without
> > very complex encryption schemes (
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomorphic_encryption).
>
> I'm not sure why you wouldn't salt the hash..?  That's pretty important,
> imv, and, of course, you have to store the salt but that shouldn't be
> that big of a deal, I wouldn't think.  Agreed that you can't support
> b-tree (even with complex encryption schemes..., I've read some papers
> about how just </> is enough to be able to glean a good bit of info
> from, not super relevant to the overall discussion here so I won't go
> hunt them down right now, but if there's interest, I can try to do so).

Yes. you can add salt to the value you store in the hash index, but when
you are looking for a matching value, how do you know what salt to use
to find it in the index?

От: Vik Fearing
Сообщение: Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: 回复:回复:Bug aboutdrop index concurrently