Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2019-10-22 09:16:05 +1100, raf wrote:
> Steven Pousty wrote:
> > In a perfect world I would agree with you. But often users do not read ALL
> > the documentation before they use the function in their code OR they are
> > not sure that the condition applies to them (until it does).
>
> I'm well aware of that, hence the statement that this
> information needs to appear at the place in the
> documentation where the user is first going to
> encounter the function (i.e. in the table where its
> examples are).

I think this is a real weakness of the tabular format used for
documenting functions: While it is quite compact which is nice if you
just want to look up a function's name or parameters, it really
discourages explanations longer than a single paragraph.

Section 9.9 gets around this problem by limiting the in-table
description to a few words and "see Section 9.9.x". So you basically
have to read the text and not just the table. Maybe that would make
sense for the json functions, too?

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Вложения

От: "Peter J. Holzer"
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data