Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct  4, 2019 at 10:46:57PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Oracle also has a handy "TDE best practices" document [2], which says
> when to use column-level encryption - let me quote a couple of points:
>
> * Location of sensitive information is known
>
> * Less than 5% of all application columns are encryption candidates
>
> * Encryption candidates are not foreign-key columns
>
> * Indexes over encryption candidates are normal B-tree indexes (this
>  also means no support for indexes on expressions, and likely partial
>
> * No support from hardware crypto acceleration.

Aren't all modern systems going to have hardware crypto acceleration,
i.e., AES-NI CPU extensions.  Does that mean there is no value of
partial encryption on such systems?  Looking at the overhead numbers I
have seen for AES-NI-enabled systems, I believe it.

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Make use of C99 designated initialisers for nulls/values arrays