Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Hash take II

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Hash take II
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-12-08 12:07:04 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I suppose if we wanted to make this type of problem go away, but still
> keep files for forensic purposes, we could introduce a "restart
> number", and stick it into the top level temporary directory's name.
> That way you'd never be able to collide with files created before a
> crash-restart, and we could add O_EXCL so it'd become an error to try
> to create the same filename again.

I'm deeply unconvinced by the "forensic" argument to not do temp file
cleanup after crash restarts. That causes problems like the one we're
debating upthread in the first place, so I'm wholly unconvinced we
should add to that further by adding another layer of complexity.

My personal opinion is that we should just do temp file cleanup after
crash restarts, and document restart_after_crash = false as the solution
for investigating crashes.  I don't want to hold up this patch with a
discussion of that however, so I'm ok with your fix.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Transaction control in procedures
От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query