Re: [HACKERS] POC: Sharing record typmods between backends

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] POC: Sharing record typmods between backends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-09-14 23:29:05 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >> - added typedefs to typedefs.list
>
> > Should I do this manually with future patches?

I think there's sort of a circuit split on that one. Robert and I do
regularly, most others don't.

> FWIW, I'm not on board with that.  I think the version of typedefs.list
> in the tree should reflect the last official pgindent run.

Why? I see pretty much no upside to that. You can't reindent anyway, due
to unindented changes. You can get the used typedefs.list trivially from
git.

> There's also a problem that it only works well if *every* committer
> faithfully updates typedefs.list, which isn't going to happen.
>
> For local pgindent'ing, I pull down
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/typedefs.pl
>
> and then add any typedefs created by the patch I'm working on to that.
> But I don't put the result into the commit.  Maybe we need a bit better
> documentation and/or tool support for using an unofficial typedef list.

That's a mighty manual process - I want to be able to reindent files,
especially new ones where it's still reasonably possible, without having
to download files, then move changes out of the way, so I can rebase,

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] The case for removing replacement selection sort
От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor