Re: fix bgworkers in EXEC_BACKEND

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: fix bgworkers in EXEC_BACKEND
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnakangas@vmware.com) wrote:
> Thinking about this some more, it might be cleaner to move the
> responsibility of setting MaxBackends out of guc.c, into
> postmaster.c. The guc machinery would set max_connections and
> autovacuum_max_workers as usual, but not try to set MaxBackends.
> After reading the config file in postmaster.c, calculate
> MaxBackends.

I tend to prefer Heikki's solution wrt supporting what we do currently.
I do wonder if, perhaps, the reason the assign_XXX() functions were put
in place and used from GUC was a hope that some day we'd actually
support online changing of max_connections (and friends).  I realize
that's pretty pie-in-the-sky, but it sure would be nice to reduce the
number of parameters that require a full restart.

All that said, putting those functions back and changing guc.c would
certainly be pretty trivially done, should some new patch come along
that would allow online changing of max_connections.

So, +1 on Heikki's approach.
Thanks,
    Stephen

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: fix bgworkers in EXEC_BACKEND
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: fix bgworkers in EXEC_BACKEND