Re: Thoughts on "SELECT * EXCLUDING (...) FROM ..."?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Thoughts on "SELECT * EXCLUDING (...) FROM ..."?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Marti Raudsepp (marti@juffo.org) wrote:
> Unfortunately it's far less efficient. Fields would be truncated in
> psql, so full values are still detoasted and transmitted over the
> network.

I'm thinking that we're not too worried about performance of ad-hoc
psql queries..?  At least, for the queries that I'd use this for, I
wouldn't be worried about that.

The various syntax proposals do seem overly long for this, however..  I
was just wondering about something like:

select ~* blah, blah, blah FROM ...

Strikes me as pretty unlikely that making a new 'version' of * like this
is going to break anything or be broken by the SQL standard.  Note- I
haven't looked at the * production or tried to do anything w/ gram.y to
support this yet, but it's a heck of a lot shorter..
Thanks,
    Stephen

От: Alcione Benacchio
Сообщение: OK
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer