Re: auto vacuum

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: auto vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Herouth Maoz wrote:
> First, I'd like to thank Bill and Alvaro as well as you for your replies.
>
> Quoting Tom Lane:
> >Hmm.  Given the churn rate on the table, I'm having a very hard time
> >believing that you don't need to vacuum it pretty dang often.  Maybe the
> >direction you need to be moving is to persuade autovac to vacuum it
> >*more* often, not less often, so that the time needed to finish each
> >vacuum is small enough.
> Other than reclaiming disk space, is there any advantage to vacuum?
> Is a vacuumed table more efficient?

Yeah, it frees up space for new tuples.  Whether it does anything or not
depends on you having long running transactions; if you do, maybe more
frequent vacuuming would just scan the table to no useful purpose.

> So far, every time it vacuums -
> which is around every 15-20 minutes under load conditions - it slows
> down processing. I think perhaps Bill's suggestion of just
> scheduling the vacuums myself (e.g. 1-2am, off peak) coupled with
> cost-based vacuuming might be a good answer? Unless I'm missing an
> important point about vacuuming.

I think you should continue with your current vacuuming strategy, or
perhaps make it more frequent, not less.  To prevent it being a load hog
you can set vacuum_cost_delay to some nonzero value.  Keep in mind that
vacuum_cost_delay affects all vacuuming tasks, including autovacuum,
whereas autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay affects autovacuum but not manually
invoked vacuum (including the ones you invoke via cron of course)

> Alvaro and Bill both suggested scheduling analyzes on a
> minute-by-minute cron. Would this be no different than automatic
> analyze? No extra overhead for connection, perhaps?

No difference.  Autovacuum also uses a connection; the only difference
is that it does it internally.

От: Scott Mead
Сообщение: Re: [SOLVED] Error in Trigger function. How to correct?
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: [SOLVED] Error in Trigger function. How to correct?