Re: Streaming Rep - 2-phase backups and reducing time to full replication

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: Streaming Rep - 2-phase backups and reducing time to full replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:58:20 +0000 Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 15:33 -0600, decibel wrote:
>
> > Dumb question: could the WAL streaming code be made to also ship base files? That would make setting up a streaming
replicasuper-simple.

> That was a possible design, but that's not will be there for this
> release.
>
> I opposed adding the "we do the base backup for you" feature because
> there are many ways of doing a base backup and it would likely have
> restricted your options to do so. One issue that would cause is limiting
> the speed of the base backup to a single libpq connection, which would
> cause performance problems. So yes, super-simple, but not super-good for
> many big users.

The big users will always have other options. But for normal users who
just want to enable a replication - this feature would be awesome: the
entire replication is done by the database.

So +1 for integrating such a feature in a future version.

Bye

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: unicode questions