Re: Automatic database upgrade

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: Automatic database upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> We (you, me, everyone) are currently presented with a problem when
> upgrading
> our installed version of PostgreSQL when upgrading to a major release
> version (i.e. 8.2 to 8.3, or 8.3 to 8.4)  Is it not possible to have
> PostgreSQL "upgrade" the actual database cluster upon installing a new
> major
> version?  I don't mean as a step during the actual upgrade.  I'm
> suggesting
> that, if the database cluster has some sort of attribute which Postgres
> could read which would identify the latest version it was running against,
> then a tool (let's call it pg_upgrade) runs against that cluster to make
> it
> work against the newly installed version.

Debian has an add-on named pg_upgradecluster which transforms an
existing cluster into a new one transferring databases via dump/restore.

This works nicely as long as the databases are not "too large" with
respect to the hardware specs they are running on.

Karsten

От: "Nico Callewaert"
Сообщение: Re: Elapsed time between timestamp variables in Function
От: Thom Brown
Сообщение: Re: Automatic database upgrade