Re: Long term database archival

От Richard Broersma Jr
Тема Re: Long term database archival
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> But the data from 35 years ago wasn't stored in Ingres and, if it's
> important, it won't stay in Ingres. The data shifts from format to
> format as technology progresses.
>
> It seemed to me that the OP wanted some format that would be readable
> in 20 years. No one can guarantee anything like that.

What you are saying could be true, but that wasn't what I was lead to believe.  This Database was
logging data from the production automation system.  I believe the need for 30+ years of data was
because the client was interested in determining / trending the gradual drop off in production
over the year.

Their interest is in extrapolating profitability lifetime for their facility. Essentially want to
know how long they have before they have to "close the doors."

But you are probably correct, I had no way of really knowing how old that data on there server
really was.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

От: Richard Broersma Jr
Сообщение: Re: Old data (was Re: Long term database archival)
От: Ron Johnson
Сообщение: Re: Long term database archival