Re: reindexdb program error under PG 8.1.3

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: reindexdb program error under PG 8.1.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 25 May 2006 19:34, David Wall wrote:
> Rats!  I found nothing....  But just for grins, I ran the reindexdb
> program a second time, and this time it reported a different OID, higher
> than the previous.  I know we didn't change the template1 database other
> than using it when creating new databases, creating users, tablespaces,
> etc.
>
> My guess is this is somehow related to the reindexdb program.  Do you
> know if there's any advantage to using the reindexdb program versus
> running the psql commands REINDEX DATABASE and REINDEX SYSTEM?
>
> When reading the docs, I'm beginning to wonder if it's even necessary to
> do the reindexing.  I think it may be a holdover from earlier thinking
> that doesn't apply anymore.  I believe the idea is that as rows are
> inserted, updated and deleted, the index can get rather scrambled, and
> that reindexing often sorts the values and rewrites that data so that
> the indexes take less space and work faster.  Is that not the case here?

It really isn't neccessary. That said, there is *something* going on with your
db, so it might be prudent to figure out what it is.

--
Robert Treat

От: ljb
Сообщение: Re: 8.1.4: Who says "PHP deprecated addslashes since 4.0"?
От: David Wall
Сообщение: Re: reindexdb program error under PG 8.1.3