Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Дата
Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....  ("Mark Woodward" <pgsql@mohawksoft.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:
> The pg_config program needs to display more information, specifically
> where the location of pg_service.conf would reside.

pg_config --sysconfdir

> Also, I know I've been harping on this for years (literally), but
> since the PosgteSQL programs already have the notion that there is
> some static directory for which to locate files (pg_service.conf),
> couldn't we also use this directory to include pg_hba.conf,
> pg_ident.conf, and perhaps even postgresql.conf?

Considering that pg_service.conf is a client configuration file and the
others are server configuration files, I don't think there is a causal
relationship between putting them one place or another, independent of
the individual merit of placing them in particular spot.  I'm not sure
that sentence makes sense.

> Maybe we also add to pg_service.conf enough data to start a database
> so that a tool, perhaps pg_service, could read and extract the info
> for pg_ctl, so databases can be started by service names:
>
> pg_ctl -S service_name start

I don't mind a mechanism that pg_ctl can start more than one database
cluster.  The Debian packages have started to develop such a system
independently because of upgrading requirements, but putting it into
the mainline would certainly be useful.

--
Peter Eisentraut

От: "Mark Woodward"
Сообщение: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....