Re: psql \e broken again

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: psql \e broken again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I think the rationale was to allow paths containing spaces, which is
> a pretty serious problem on Windows.  Seems like we have two basic
>
> 1. Quote only on Windows.
>
> 2. Expect user to put quotes in the EDITOR value if it contains a
> space-containing path.

The EDITOR variable seems to have a fairly standard meaning on Unix
systems.  I've been using that EDITOR value for years without problems,
only when I use psql's \e once in a while it breaks.  I don't think we
should deviate from what seems to be a standard practice.

I wonder whether a similar convention exists on Windows.  I could
certainly live with quoting only on Windows if that is what the
convention is there.

--
Peter Eisentraut