Re: A modest proposal: get rid of GUC's USERLIMIT

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: A modest proposal: get rid of GUC's USERLIMIT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew McMillan wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> > Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> writes:
> > > When tracking down gnarly problems in heavily multi-user applications
> > > enabling higher log levels at selective points has the potential to help
> > > _a lot_ with diagnostic detail, without smothering you in _every_
> > > detail.
> >
> > Sure.  As I pointed out in the other thread, if you want to allow an app
> > to do this, you can make available a SECURITY DEFINER function that
> > performs the desired SET on its behalf.  By setting execute permissions
> > on the function and/or including restrictions in the function's code,
> > you can make this as tight or as loose a loophole as you like.  So it's
> > certainly possible to do what you want in any case.  I think the issue
> > at hand is what's appropriate to provide as hard-wired functionality.
>
> That sounds excellent - I hadn't realised that this workaround would be
> possible, and indeed with this in place that will provide even better
> control over the facility.

OK, here is one vote for the ALTER USER/remove USERLIMIT croud, and you
were the person who originally mentioned the problem.  You don't think
the function creation is hard.  Perhaps that's the way to go then.

Pennsylvania19073

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: GUC custom variables broken
От: "Gevik Babakhani"
Сообщение: Re: newbie compile question. please help