Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
OK, new text is:
      <para>       Linux has poor default memory overcommit behavior.  Rather than       failing if it can not reserve
enoughmemory, it returns success,       but later fails when the memory can't be mapped and terminates       the
applicationwith <literal>kill -9</>.  To prevent unpredictable       process termination, use:

<programlisting>
sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=3
</programlisting>       Note, you will need enough swap space to cover all your memory needs.      </para>
</listitem>   </varlistentry>

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, doc patch attached and applied.  Improvements?
>
> I think it would be worth spending another sentence to tell people
> exactly what the symptom looks like, ie, backends dying with signal 9.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Alter strings that don't belong to the application