Re: could not read transaction log directory ...?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: could not read transaction log directory ...?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> >From errno.h :
> ... ...
> /* Defined for the NFSv3 protocol */
> #define EBADHANDLE      521     /* Illegal NFS file handle */
> #define ENOTSYNC        522     /* Update synchronization mismatch */
> #define EBADCOOKIE      523     /* Cookie is stale */
> ... ...
>
> "Cookie is stale" - ..?
> Should I consider some problems with the file server?
> The strange thing is that process always crashes some 30 minutes
> after start. Another point is that it works fine on another machine -
> Red Hat 7.2 with 2.4.9 kernel.
>
> I'm not sure what to make out of this.

Actually, that is somewhat suggestive...

chvatal:/usr/src/linux/fs/nfs# grep EBADCOOKIE *.c
dir.c:                 if (res == -EBADCOOKIE) {
nfs2xdr.c:                return ERR_PTR(-EBADCOOKIE);
nfs2xdr.c:                { NFSERR_BAD_COOKIE,
EBADCOOKIE    },
nfs3xdr.c:        return ERR_PTR(-EBADCOOKIE);
chvatal:/usr/src/linux/fs/nfs# grep EBADCOOKIE *.c

Does this mean that you are storing your filesystems on NFS?

That could well be the root of the problem; NFS has been somewhat in
flux, and is usually not a highly recommended way of storing PG data.

I hear D'Arcy Cain uses NFS fairly successfully for the purpose, but I
believe he's using NetApp boxes, which are _quite_ different from the
norm, and likely aren't what you are using.

My first suggestion would be Stop Using NFS (unless you are really quite
certain of what you're doing).
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html