Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:18:02PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > What if folks want all their connections autocommit off.
> >
> > For interactive use, people can record their preferred setting in
> > ~/.psqlrc or something like that.
>
> But that only works for psql, right?  How would this be done at the
> libpq level?  Environment variables?  GUC seems a whole lot cleaner.

I think an environment variable would be right.  The current method is
not clean in the sense that a client cannot decide what she wants; she
just accepts the decision from the DBA.  Thus, an application can't be
written with a certain value in mind, because the DBA can change the
setting at any time.

Client-side decision is the wiser proposal, I think.

> I understand.  I just don't see any value in pushing that logic into
> each client when we can do it centrally in the server.

The server doesn't know beforehand what the client wants.

"No renuncies a nada. No te aferres a nada"

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
От: R Blake
Сообщение: Re: anyone? CREATELANG in pgsql 7.3.2 failing