Re: GUI for Postgres Management? PostgreSQL vs MySQL.

От Tommi Maekitalo
Тема Re: GUI for Postgres Management? PostgreSQL vs MySQL.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

there are GUI-tools for postgresql. Look at http://gborg.postgresql.org (but
you should switch JavaScript off - there is a bug at the page for database
administration tools, which redirects you to sourceforge).

A very nice tool is pgaccess (www.pgaccess.org). It is written in tcl/tk.

I'm not an expert in PHP, but I think the integration of PostgreSQL is as good
as MySQL. I prefer perl, which has a database abstraction layer. HTML::Mason
(www.masonhq.com) does with perl what php does with php - it integrates perl
and html.

PostgreSQL is far better than MySQL. It has full SQL-support. MySQL is missing
some major features, which renders it unusable for me (views and subselects
to mention the major ones).

MySQL is told to be faster than PostgreSQL, but there are articles, which tell
the other way. In my experiences PostgreSQL is fast enough for simple queries
and superiour if it comes to complex ones, because there are features missing
in MySQL, which speeds thins up.

Once there was a very interesting article here at pgsql-general about
performance optimization. Someone optimized his application and used all
features, which makes PostgreSQL fast and MySQL unusable. The result was a
reduced CPU-load from 15% with MySQL to 1% in PostgreSQL!

Tommi

Am Sonntag, 24. November 2002 01:54 schrieb Aleksei Wolff:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL.  I am wondering if there is currently a GUI
> management tool available to be used with PostgreSQL?  I am debating
> between MySQL and PostgreSQL.
>
> I like MySQL because of its GUI management tool and because (according to
> soom books) its tight integration with PHP.
>
> On the other hand PostgreSQL has a PL/SQL "like" enhancement which I really
> like too.
>
> I plan on installing on Linux for DB/Web application I am hoping to build.
> Is there any performance advantages in using PostgreSQL over MYSQL?
>
> Any help would be appreciated in helping me make up my mind.
>
> Alex-

Dr. Eckhardt + Partner GmbH
http://www.epgmbh.de

От: Mike Mascari
Сообщение: Re: Please Help on MS SQL7.0 Procedure to PostgreSQL
От: Hilmar Lapp
Сообщение: Re: transaction aborted, queries ignored