Re: Table with 90 columns

От Christoph Dalitz
Тема Re: Table with 90 columns
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Ligia Pimentel schrieb:
> > Yes, a very wide table (many columns) will be less efficient than a table
> > with less columns (this is a matter of relational concepts and
> > normalization).

I must admit that I do not understand this comment:
what has normalization to do with performance?

As far as I understand normalization it is meant to avoid *redundance* and
not to improve performance. Actually normalization in general decreases
performance becaus a join over several tables is much less efficient than a
select on a single table. In most (but not all!) cases it is more important
to avoid inconsistencies due to redundance however.

The only disadvantage of a table with many columns that I can imagine occurs
when the columns are addressed by name rather than by index. If postgres
implements the column lookup by a linear search through all column names,
this can become an issue in very wide tables.

Even in that case I do not know whether a breakup in n tables might increase
performance.

Christoph Dalitz