Re: Process balancing on smp db server/apache web server

От postgres@vrane.com
Тема Re: Process balancing on smp db server/apache web server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 06:56:05AM -0700, Peter Darley wrote:
> Friends,
>     Does this make sense to anyone?  If this is true, are there any suggestions
> about how I can keep my persistent connections from Apache, while getting
> the db server to balance the load more efficiently?

I makes sense to me although until your email I didn't
know that's how postgres (or is it kernel) will assign jobs.
I was under the impression that if the loads get higher
kernel will automatically distributive "active" processes
to multiple cpus.  Isn't that the case?  I have the
same set up (mod_perl, apache dbi with postgres backend)
as you do and I am in the process of getting an smp box to run postgres

If your idea is the correct one I can think of artificially

Also bear in mind that modperl processes at front end got
periodically killed, new childs periodically born,
and new connections periodically re-established.  (Assuming
you have reasonable apache config file) So
over the course of web server life time things should
work out.  Hmm... I like this scenerio and feel
that things aren't as bad as I thought when I first
started to type this post.

От: Tina Messmann
Сообщение: Re: sequence / last_value problem
От: ktt
Сообщение: pattern search