Re: help with *mysql*

От wsheldah@lexmark.com
Тема Re: help with *mysql*
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Once you come up with all the conversion steps, I'd suggest you both come up
with a migration plan and a cost for the plan. If it's possible to put a dollar
figure on either ongoing costs or added risks, do that too. Then show those
numbers to your customer. Also figure out how many months of saving $100/month
it will take to recover the costs of the initial conversion, taking the time
value of money into account.

If they still go forward with it, see if you can't get a transaction-enabled
version of MySQL going. Haven't worked with MySQL since they added transactions,
but it's supposed to be supported at some level. See what NuSphere is offering
these days. I wish you the best of luck.

Hope this helps,

Wes Sheldahl

pilsl%goldfisch.at@interlock.lexmark.com on 05/06/2002 05:45:15 PM

To:   pgsql-general%postgresql.org@interlock.lexmark.com
cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] help with *mysql*

my nightmare is coming true: I need to port a whole CMS from postgres
to mysql. I just started taking the first looks on mysql and all seems so wrong
;)

it doesnt have system-unique OID's, it doesnt have something like
offset, it doesnt accept my ROLLBACK.

but: I will have to learn how to move around all this things, so what
I want to ask here is, if someone knows some docs about all these
things a programmer will have to face if switching from postgres to
mysql.

and the reason for all this is, that all this cheep providers offer
mysql and all customers think, hey : this provider is 100USD less per
month and offer 100.000 emailaliases. I tried to mention "transaction"
and "sql-standard" but they only stared at me ...

thnx,
peter

ps: sorry for this whiny-posting

http://archives.postgresql.org