Re: HOWTO - Random character generation for primary key

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: HOWTO - Random character generation for primary key
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 01:01:22PM +0200,
  Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> wrote:

> A timestamp (ex: 20020501_1258) followed by PLpgSQL function
> random_string(200) value should provide a unique signature. What do you
> think? Alternatively, could we use the crypto package to generate a unique
> signature?

Well what are you really trying to do? Presumably you have some reason(s)
for not wanting to use sequences, but without knowing what the reason(s)
are it is hard to give you good advice.

От: Shaun Thomas
Сообщение: Re: What popular, large commercial websites run
От: Fran Fabrizio
Сообщение: Re: Joe Celko Function