Re: MySQL Gemini code

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: MySQL Gemini code
Дата
Re: MySQL Gemini code  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Re: MySQL Gemini code  (ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers))
Re: MySQL Gemini code  (Michael Widenius <monty@mysql.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> As some of you know, Nusphere is trying to sell MySQL with an additional
> transaction-based table manager called Gemini.  They enabled download of
> the source code yesterday at:
>
>    http://mysql.org/download3.php?file_id=1118
>
> Looking through the 122k lines of C code in the Gemini directory, it is
> pretty clear from a 'grep -i progress' that the Gemini code is actually
> the database storage code for the Progress database.  Progress is the
> parent company of Nusphere.
   And this press release
       http://www.nusphere.com/releases/071601.htm
   also  explains why they had to do it this way. They disagreed   with the policy that every code added to the core
systemmust   be  owned  by  MySQL  AB,  so that these guys can sell it for   money in their commercial licenses.

   IMHO, the MySQL community gives a few  people  far  too  much   credit anyway.  The MySQL AB folks degrade
contributionsfrom   their community to "personal donations" to "Monty", which  he   has  to "scrutinize" and often
rewriteso that they can stand   their (MySQL AB's) standards. Give me a break, but  does  the   entire  MySQL
community only  consist of 16 year old junior   pacman players, or are there  some  "real  programmers  (tm)"   too?

   But  maybe  Mr.  Mickos told the truth, that there never have   been substantial contributions from the  outside
and nearly   all the code has been written by "Monty" himself (with little   "donations" from David). In that case,
NuSphere's launch  of   mysql.org was long overdue.

Jan

От: rick@edg.nl (Rick Schippers)
Сообщение: Re: All computers in the world MUST sync with ATOMIC clock before 12:00 AM 21 July 2001!!!
От: Gorazd Bozic
Сообщение: Re: All computers in the world MUST sync with ATOMIC clock before 12:00 AM 21 July 2001!!!