Queries across multiple databases (was: SELECT from a table in another database).

От Trygve Falch
Тема Queries across multiple databases (was: SELECT from a table in another database).
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In article <3B01ACE4.2A47F2C6@mbit.nl>, "Nils Zonneveld" <nils@mbit.nl>
wrote:

>> Actually I think I found 'Allow queries across multiple databases' in
>> the TODO-list under something they call 'Exotic feature'. I thought
>> that this feature was relativly basic and standard-feature in most
>> DB's.

> I don't know what you are using those database for, but nothing prevents
> you from letting your clients connect to the different databases the
> same time.

But that requires me to make a new database connection for each database I
need to access.

And putting 200+ tables in one single database is not an option.

 The application which needs to be able to do this is a
cross-database-application (MSSQL, Oracle, Sybase) and I have almost no
room for doing major changes to the SQL which this application uses.

But the lack of this feature in Postgres makes it almost impossible to
make a structured database design for huge application. I know this
question have been asked before in another postgres forum as early as
1998, and what Bruce Momjian said then was that most commercial databases
couldn't do it, which was probably right for 1998, but today even MySQL
can do this! Sybase, Oracle and MSSQL can also do this. I think even DB2
and Informix can.

I was really suprised when I discovered that this was even an issue with
Postgres, because everything else in this wonderful DBM is on an
enterprise level of quality and functionality.

Sadly, this means I'll have to stick to Oracle (even if I really didn't
want to) until this issue is resolved in Postgres.

(crossposted to comp.databases.postgresql.hackers).

От: Nils Zonneveld
Сообщение: Re: Performance aggregates
От: bscinc2000@yahoo.comNOSPAM (Al Frick)
Сообщение: Which Front End for Postgresql