Re: 7.0.3 reproduceable serious select error

От Rob van Nieuwkerk
Тема Re: 7.0.3 reproduceable serious select error
Дата
Re: 7.0.3 reproduceable serious select error  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > I don't think I'm running postmaster in a non-ASCII locale.
> > At least I did not explicitly do anything to accomplish it.
>
> Did you have LANG, LOCALE, or any of the LC_xxx family of
> environment variables set when you started the postmaster?
> Some Linux distros tend to set those in system profile scripts ...

Checking whith ps and looking in /proc reveiled that postmaster indeed
had LANG set to "en_US" in its environment.  I disabled the system script
that makes this setting, restarted postgres/postmaster and reran my tests.

The problem query returns the *right* answer now !
Turning LANG=en_US back on gives the old buggy behaviour.

I know very little about this LANG, LOCALE etc. stuff.
But for our application it is very important to support "weird" characters
like "���� ..." etc. for names.  Basically we need all letter symbols
in ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1).  A quick experiment shows that without the
LANG setting I can still insert & select strings containing these
symbols.

Do I lose any postgresql functionality by just getting rid of the LANG
environment variable ?  Will I be able to use full ISO-8859-1 in table
fields without problems ?

Please tell if you want me to do any other tests !
greetings,Rob van Nieuwkerk

От: ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Сообщение: Re: copy from stdin; bug?
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Getting configure to notice link-time vs run-time failures