Re: [HACKERS] CVSup

От Kent S. Gordon
Тема Re: [HACKERS] CVSup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

    > -----Original Message----- From: The Hermit Hacker
    > <scrappy@hub.org> To: Maurice Gittens <mgittens@gits.nl> Cc:
    > hackers@postgreSQL.org <hackers@postgreSQL.org> Date: vrijdag 1
    > mei 1998 19:34 Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CVSup

    >>  If you remove the 'tag=.' part of the CVSup config file, you
    >> can pull down the complete CVS repository to your machine to
    >> manipulate as you want to...
    >>

    > What way would suggest to keep in sync with the changes other
    > folks are making? I mean, if I have the repository on my local
    > system I still have to get changes changes merged in from the
    > "main" postgresql repository.  When I think about it all
    > solutions seem more clumsy (and less flexible) than simply using
    > the standard remote access to the repository.

1) Remote CVS is a resource pig, especially for large tree.  It puts a
large load on the server.  I would guess the load is easily 10x larger
for remote CVS vs CVSUP.  cvs log/diff being local instead of over the
internet is great for development especially with dialup lines to the
Internet.

2)  The ability to have a local copy of the 'official tree' allows for
some possible ideas to work easier.  If one is making local changes
the 'official tree' could be done as vendor imports into a local tree
allowing local changes not to be overwritten.

--
Kent S. Gordon
Architect