Re: problem with psql?

От Timothy Perrigo
Тема Re: problem with psql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Nov 28, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> [Reordering top-posted reply]
>
> Conflicts with the ARD-installed server has been an issue for me on
> and off in the past, though I haven't been able to connect to the
> server using psql without specifying the ard database, user, and
> password. Also, I believe only the ARD server has the embedded
> PostgreSQL server (and an old one at that). Do you actually have
> the ARD server software installed on the Xserve? (My guess is you
> may be using the client software that is installed with the OS.)
>
> Also, could you check who owns those processes? The ARD-installed
> server will probably be owned by someone (such as daemon, though I
> don't recall off the top of my head) other than your normal
> postgres server.
>
> If you find it *is* a problem with ARD (which I am inclined to
> doubt), you can alter the port used by the ARD-installed PostgreSQL
> server by changing the port it uses in
>
> /var/db/RemoteManagement/RMDB/rmdb.data/postgresql.conf
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com

Thanks for the reply Michael.  As I just wrote in response to Jim's
post, I don't think it is an ARD problem.  The postmaster instance
running on the machine is our instance, not the ARD instance, and is
pointed at our data directory.  We are able to connect to our
database using psql and JDBC; it is just that pg_ctl seems to be
lying to us!  I have been suspect of ARD in the past (though at the
moment I can't remember why), but in this case I don't think it is
the source of the problem.

We are going to try updating the machine to PostgreSQL 8.1 tonight; I
will let you all know if that corrects the issue, but I'd really like
to understand what is going on, so if anyone has any ideas, please
let me know!

Thanks,
Tim