Re: Shouldn't flush dirty buffers at shutdown ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Shouldn't flush dirty buffers at shutdown ?
Дата
smgrwrite() without LockBuffer(was RE: Shouldn't flush dirty buffers at shutdown ?)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> What I've never understood until recently is that even normal aborts(not
> in the middle of b-tree splitting) and normal shutdown could cause an
> inconsistency between heap and indices.

Yes.  Since WAL will provide the real solution in 7.1, I think we need
only look for a simple stopgap answer for 7.0.x.  Perhaps we could just
tweak bufmgr.c so that dirty buffers are flushed out on both transaction
commit and abort.  That doesn't solve the consistency-after-crash issue,
but at least you can do an orderly shutdown of a postmaster without
fear.  Is it worth trying to do more now, rather than working on WAL?

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Problems compiling version 7
От: "Hiroshi Inoue"
Сообщение: RE: Shouldn't flush dirty buffers at shutdown ?