Re: WIP: hooking parser

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: WIP: hooking parser
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2009/2/16 Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 02:35:54PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> attachment contains module that transform every empty string to null.
>
> Why would anyone ever want to do this?  This would appear to break all
> sorts of things in very non-obvious ways:

I agree, so this behave is strange - but Oracle does it.

so normal query in Oracle for empty value looks like

select * from people where surname is null;

and some application expect transformation from '' to null.

http://www.thunderguy.com/semicolon/2003/04/26/oracle-empty-string-null/

so these modules (decode, oraemptystr) decrease differences between
PostgreSQL and Oracle.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

p.s. I am not Oracle expert, I expect so here are more qualified men.

От: Sam Mason
Сообщение: Re: WIP: hooking parser
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security