Re: termination of backend waiting for sync rep generates a junk log message

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: termination of backend waiting for sync rep generates a junk log message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> One thing worth asking is why we're willing to violate half a dozen
>> different coding rules if we see ProcDiePending, yet we're perfectly
>> happy to rely on the client understanding a WARNING for the
>> QueryCancelPending case. �Another is whether this whole function isn't
>> complete BS in the first place, since it appears to be coded on the
>> obviously-false assumption that nothing it calls can throw elog(ERROR)
>> --- and of course, if any of those functions do throw ERROR, all the
>> argumentation here goes out the window.

> Well, there is a general problem that anything which throws an ERROR
> too late in the commit path is Evil; and sync rep makes that worse to
> the extent that it adds more stuff late in the commit path, but it
> didn't invent the problem.  What it did do is add stuff late in the
> commit path that can block for a potentially unbounded period of time,
> and I don't see that there are any solutions to that problem that
> aren't somewhat grotty.

No doubt, but fantasizing about what you are or are not controlling
doesn't help ... and AFAICT this code is mostly fantasy.  Anyway,
I don't have a better proposal right offhand; will think about it.

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Adding CORRESPONDING to Set Operations
От: Jeff Davis
Сообщение: Re: (patch) regression diffs on collate.linux.utf8 test