Re: Date/Time Types : internals

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Date/Time Types : internals
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
I wrote:
>> So which calendar are we using, Julian or Gregorian?

> Gregorian.  I fail to see anyplace that suggests we use the Julian
> calendar.  We do understand the Julian date system, which is something
> entirely different with a confusingly similar name.  (Julian dates are
> just a count of days since a reference point in 4713 BC.)

On further reflection I wonder whether we shouldn't just get rid of
"8.5.6. Internals", which is at best rather inappropriately placed.
A person reading this portion of the docs probably couldn't care less
whether we use Julian-date calculations internally.  It might be
appropriate to mention that in appendix B.4, where there's an actual
explanation of what Julian dates are; but not here.

What I think we should have here is an externally-facing specification,
that is state that we follow the Gregorian calendar rules even for years
before Pope Gregory's edict, and then reference B.4 for more info.

От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: Behaviour of sql language function
От: Selena Deckelmann
Сообщение: Re: "TL;DR:"