Trouble upgrading old 6.1 install on Irix5

От Alex Shnitman
Тема Trouble upgrading old 6.1 install on Irix5
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi

All my attempts have been in vain so far so I come to seek your
advice. I have an old PostgreSQL 6.1 installation on an Irix 5 machine
that I want to upgrade to 6.5. The issue is dumping the old database.
Here's what I've tried so far (I tried all these things both on the
original installation and a freshly compiled 6.1.1 with a copy of the
data directory; the results are the same):

* Tried to dump with the supplied 6.1[.1] pg_dump program. It starts
  dumping and after a few lines it gets a bus error. Perhaps it's
  because the Irix5 port wasn't very good then?

* Instaled 6.2.1 and tried to use its pg_dump program. I get the
  following error message on the *server* (postmaster) stdout (or
  stderr): "WARN:attribute "relchecks" not found", for any database
  I'm trying to dump. I ran pg_dump with -v to see where that happens
  and got this:
--  last builtin oid is 17280
--  reading user-defined types
--  reading user-defined functions
--  reading user-defined aggregates
--  reading user-defined operators
--  reading user-defined tables
getTables(): SELECT failed

  It's interesting that with the original 6.1 (and not my compiled)
  pg_dump simply hang indefinitely instead of this. I don't think that
  helps though.

* Installed both 6.4.2 and 6.5 and tried using their respective
  pg_dump programs. In both cases what happens is this error message:

Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'john' using <unknown
authentication type>: be_recvauth: unrecognized message type: 131072

  (Of course I ran pg_dump with -h localhost so it uses inet sockets.)

Does anyone have any suggestions what to do with it? Thanks a lot in
advance for anything you come up with!

Regards,
--Alex

--
Alex Shnitman                            | http://www.debian.org
alexsh@hectic.net, alexsh@linux.org.il   +-----------------------

Minds are like parachutes... they work best when open.

От: Alex Shnitman
Сообщение: Help with upgrading old 6.1 installation on Irix5
От: Travis
Сообщение: ...