Re: [HACKERS] compiler warning with VS 2017

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] compiler warning with VS 2017
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> writes:
> I am getting a compiler warning when I build the latest HEAD PostgreSQL with
> visual studio 2017.
> The code at the line is,
> tuple->values[i] = (char *) (Size)0xdeadbeef; /* make bad usage more obvious */

Yeah, you're not the first to complain about this.  To my mind that
coding is not pretty, not cute, and not portable: there's not even
a good reason to believe that dereferencing the pointer would result
in a crash.  Perhaps the author can explain to us why this is better
than just assigning NULL.

Actually, looking around a bit there, it's not even clear why
we should be booby-trapping the value of an unchanged column in
the first place.  So I'd say that not only is the code dubious
but the comment is inadequate too.

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] statement_timeout is not working as expected with postgres_fdw