Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Дата
Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 14:07 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> And we not only don't give them the behavior they want; we
> don't even have a meaningful way to give the option of opting into
> that behavior at initdb or create-database time.

I strongly object to offering options that change the language in such a
substantial way. initdb-time options still mean that we are essentially
dividing our language, and therefore the applications that support
postgres, in half (or worse). One of the things I really like about
postgres is that we haven't forked the language with a million options
like mysql has. I don't even like the fact that we have a GUC to control
the output format of a BYTEA.

For every developer who says "wow, that mysql query just worked without
modification" there is another one who says "oh, I forgot to test with
option XYZ... postgres is too complex to support, I'm going to drop it
from the list of supported databases".

I still don't see a compelling reason why opting out of overloading on a
per-function basis won't work. Your objections seemed fairly minor in
comparison to how strongly you are advocating this use case.

In particular, I didn't get a response to:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1354055056.1766.50.camel@sussancws0025

For what it's worth, I'm glad that people like you are pushing on these
usability issues, because it can be hard for insiders to see them
sometimes.

Regards,Jeff Davis

От: Jeff Davis
Сообщение: Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
От: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Сообщение: Re: [BUG?] lag of minRecoveryPont in archive recovery