Re: Replication server timeout patch

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Replication server timeout patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 16:42 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

> > So, in summary, the position is that we have a timeout, but that timeout
> > doesn't work in all cases. But it does work in some, so that seems
> > enough for me to say "let's commit". Not committing gives us nothing at
> > all, which is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
> >
> > I will be looking to commit this tomorrow morning, unless I hear some
> > clear No comments, with reasons.
>
> I guess the question is whether it works in 10% of cases or 95% of
> cases.  In the first case there's probably no point in pretending we
> have a feature if it doesn't really work.  In the second case, it
> might make sense.  But I don't have a good feeling for which it is.

Well, I guess the people that wanted to wait forever may get their wish.

For sync rep, I intend to put in place a client timeout, which we do
have code for. The server side timeout still makes sense, but it's not a
requirement for sync rep.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services

От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Replication server timeout patch
От: "David E. Wheeler"
Сообщение: Re: ALTER TYPE COLLATABLE?