Re: What happened to the is_ family of functions proposal?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: What happened to the is_ family of functions proposal?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar sep 21 13:41:32 -0400 2010:

> > So we could refactor the input functions so that there's an internal
> > function that returns the accepted datum in the OK case and an ErrorData
> > for the failure case.
>
> This makes the untenable assumption that there are no elog(ERROR)s in
> the "internal" input function *or anything it calls*.  Short of truly
> massive restructuring, including uglifying many internal APIs to have
> error return codes instead of allowing elog within the callee, you will
> never make this work for anything more complicated than say float8in().

... which is what people want anyway.  I mean, the day someone requests
is_sthcomplex, we could happily tell them that they need to use the
expensive workaround involving savepoints.  I don't think we really need
to support the ones that would require truly expensive refactoring; the
simple ones would cover 99% of the use cases.

От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo