Prepping to break every past release...

Hello,

Something that continues to grind my teeth about our software is that we
are horribly inconsistent with our system catalogs. Now I am fully and
100% aware that changing this will break things in user land but I want
to do it anyway. In order to do that I believe we need to come up with a
very loud, extremely verbose method of communicating to people that 8.5
*will* break things.

It seems to me that the best method would be to follow the
information_schema naming conventions as information_schema is standard
compliant (right?).

Thoughts?

Examples:

postgres=# \d pg_class     Table "pg_catalog.pg_class"    Column     |   Type    | Modifiers
----------------+-----------+-----------relname        | name      | not nullrelnamespace   | oid       | not null
[...]

postgres=# \d pg_tables   View "pg_catalog.pg_tables"  Column    |  Type   | Modifiers
-------------+---------+-----------schemaname  | name    | tablename   | name    |

postgres=# \d pg_stat_user_tables         View "pg_catalog.pg_stat_user_tables"     Column      |           Type
  | Modifiers

------------------+--------------------------+-----------relid            | oid                      | schemaname
|name                     | relname          | name                     |

postgres=# \d information_schema.tables                      View "information_schema.tables"           Column
 |               Type                |

Modifiers
information_schema.sql_identifier| table_schema                 | information_schema.sql_identifier | table_name
          | information_schema.sql_identifier |

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

От: "Dann Corbit"
Сообщение: Re: Is there an official log reader for PostgreSQL?
От: marcin mank
Сообщение: Re: Regclass and quoted table names