Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/19/19 12:18 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 11:26:50AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
> Not sure, but that seems rather confusing to me, because it's mixing SQL
> NULL and JSON null, i.e. it's not clear to me why
>
>    jsonb_set(..., "...", NULL)
>
> should do the same thing as
>
>    jsonb_set(..., "...", 'null':jsonb)
>
> I'm not entirely surprised it's what MySQL does ;-) but I'd say treating
> it as a deletion of the key (just like MSSQL) is somewhat more sensible.
> But I admit it's quite subjective.

That's yet another variant, which just reinforces my view that there is
no guaranteed-intuitive behaviour here.

OTOH, to me, turning jsonb_set into jsonb_delete for some case seems ...
odd.

cheers

andrew

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data