Re: procpid?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: procpid?
Дата
Re: procpid?  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jun 13, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> If we were going to make changes like this, I'd suggest we save them
> up in a big bag for when we change major version number. Everybody in
> the world thinks that PostgreSQL v8 is compatible across all versions
> (8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4), and it will be same with v9. That way we
> would still have forward progress, but in more sensible sized steps.
> Otherwise we just break the code annually for all the people that
> support us. If we had a more stable environment for tools vendors,
> maybe people wouldn't need to be manually typing procpid anyway...

Wouldn't it be better still to have both the new and old columns available for a while? That would produce the minimum
amountof disruption to tools, etc. The only downside is some potential confusion, but that would just serve to drive
peopleto the documentation to see why there were two fields, where they would find out one was deprecated.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net