Re: PG on NFS may be just a bad idea

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: PG on NFS may be just a bad idea
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 16:50 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> palloc uses malloc underneath.  My thought is to replace that with
> sbrk, mmap or something like that.  Not very portable though, a lot of
> work, and most likely not nearly enough benefits.

Yeah, I agree this isn't likely to be a win in the general case.
However, it would be interesting to explore a specialized allocator for
short-lived memory contexts, where we don't care about having an
effective pfree(). If the context is going to be reset or deleted
shortly anyway, we could probably optimize and simplify palloc() by
skipping free space accounting and then make pfree() a no-op. I recall
Tom mentioning something to this effect a few months back...

-Neil

От: Gregory Stark
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as
От: Robert Treat
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as