Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Дата
Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Список pgsql-hackers
> > > Usually it gets really bad if you *don't* run vacuum continuously, maybe
> > > hopeing to do it in slower times at night. For high-update db you have
> > > to run it continuously, maybe having some 5-15 sec pauses between runs.
> >
> > And how much I/O does this take?
>
> Surprisingly its mostly WAL traffic, the heap/index pages themselves are
> often not yet synced to disk by time of vacuum, so no additional traffic
> there. If you had made 5 updates per page and then vacuum it, then you
> make effectively 1 extra WAL write meaning 20% increase in WAL traffic.

Is this also holding about read traffic ? I thought vacuum will make a
full table scan... for big tables a full table scan is always badly
influencing the performance of the box. If the full table scan would be
avoided, then I wouldn't mind running vacuum in a loop...

In fact I think that it would make sense to replace the whole current
vacuum stuff with a background thread which does that continuously using
a dead space map. That could be a heap sorted by tuple deletion time,
and always cleaned up up to the oldest running transaction's start
time... there would be no need for any other autovacuum then.

Cheers,
Csaba.

От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Planning without reason.