Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work
Список pgsql-hackers
> Ah-hah, I've sussed it.

> so I'm
> afraid this approach to sampling EXPLAIN ANALYZE is a failure.

Hmmm, I thought we already got that bit...sorry to sound negative.

> I propose we revert this patch and think about an interrupt-driven
> sampling method instead.

I don't have much more faith in crazy scheme No.2 either. (Mine or
yours...)

Can we just have an option to avoid the timing altogether, please? I
don't want to have long discussions about instrumentation, I just want a
reasonably useful EXPLAIN ANALYZE in a reasonable amount of time - one
that we never, ever have to doubt whether the sampling works correctly
on a Miasmic-367 with HyperKooling. You could lose a month on -perform
going into the details of this for everybody - this was supposed to be a
simple additional feature.

If you're set on the sampling, great, but can we have the option to
avoid it completely also?

--  Simon Riggs EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work