Re: A good postgresql book

От Robby Russell
Тема Re: A good postgresql book
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 11:36 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 21:03, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > I guess to much information can be an overload. Been surfin' to find a
> > decent book and don't really know which one to try. I have a um, not
> > exactly vague understanding of a database.
> >
> > Meaning I can create the tables and crude/elementary queries that are just
> > about as basic as you can get. It's when ya get to the point of trying to
> > get all that info out the way I want is were I fall down. Ouch.
> >
> > I guess something on SQL that is directed towards postgresql is what I'm
> > looking for. But ideally it would have good examples and explanations.
> > Actually I need pictures, hee hee.
> >
> > Anyway I am open to some good recommendations.
>
> I think I would recommend "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition"
> from Apress, as it's aimed toward beginers. (full disclosure, I did the
> technical review for the book, though I get no money if you buy it)

I would second this. It's a recent book and while it doesn't get too
deep into the realm of working with PostgreSQL (complex queries, custom
types, etc) it does provide a good overview of PostgreSQL and is
organized fairly well. It's recently become the first book that I reach
over to the bookshelf for to look up something when I don't feel like
searching on google/ps.org search.

-Robby

--
* Robby Russell, Owner.Developer.Geek

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: I'm getting "ERROR: unsupported type: 17296"
От: Dianne Yumul
Сообщение: Re: Restoring from filesystem backup