Re: Insert SHRT_MIN fails for int2 column

От Kelly Burkhart
Тема Re: Insert SHRT_MIN fails for int2 column
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 11:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kelly Burkhart <kelly@tradebotsystems.com> writes:
> > The ::int2 cast is added in convert.c on line 3024 (for 08.00.0005)
> > preceded by a comment stating it is necessary:
>
> >     /* needs cast because there is no automatic downcast from
> >         int4 constants */
> >     CVT_APPEND_STR(qb, "::int2");
>
> > Is this really necessary?  On my 7.4.2 database, the following works
> > just fine:
>
> > create table tst ( i16 int2 );
> > insert into tst ( i16 ) values ( -32768 );
>
> In that context the down-conversion will work because it's considered an
> assignment coercion.  However there are other cases where an explicit
> cast is indeed needed, for instance
>
>     select foo(42::int2)
>
> where foo is declared as taking an int2 parameter.
>
> The best thing would be to leave the cast in place but add parentheses
> around the value being casted.

Attached is a patch to resolve this.  BTW, is it appropriate for me to
send pgsqlodbc patches to this list?  Or should I send all patches to
psql-patches?

-K

Вложения

От: jross@wykids.org
Сообщение: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL 8.0 with any driver...
От: Peggy Baker
Сообщение: Re: #Deleted strikes again