Re: ltree_gist indexes broken after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: ltree_gist indexes broken after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2/24/22 23:06, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-02-24 22:15:20 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> After thinking about this I only see two options:
>>
>> 1) Don't apply the patch and tell everyone using ltree_gist they need to
>> rebuild the index after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13+. The downside of this
>> is larger indexes (because some tuples are 20B larger).
>>
>> 2) Apply the patch + tell those who already upgraded from 12 to rebuild
>> ltree_gist indexes, because those might be broken due to new inserts.
>>

>> My opinion is to do (2), because at least those who'll upgrade later
>> (which is a lot of people) will be fine without a rebuild. And it also
>> makes the indexes a bit smaller, thanks to saving 20B.
>
> Won't 2) also break indexes created without a pg_upgrade? "already upgraded
> from 12" sounds like it wouldn't but I don't see why?

It will, unfortunately - that's why I wrote "upgrade" in that sentence.
I should have been more explicit, sorry. But any new index tuples formed
after starting the 13+ cluster are/may be corrupted.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: ltree_gist indexes broken after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: ltree_gist indexes broken after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13