Re: Unexpected data when subscribing to logical replication slot

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Unexpected data when subscribing to logical replication slot
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/8/24 08:24, Daniel McKenzie wrote:
> It's running both (in docker containers) and also quite a few more
> docker containers running various .NET applications.

I think what you found is that the r7a.medium instance is not capable
enough to do all that it is asked without introducing lag under load.
Answering the questions posed by Tomas Vondra would help get to the
actual cause of the lag.

In meantime my suspicion is this part:

"For example, when I use a psql terminal to update a user's last name
from "Jones" to "Smith" then I would expect the enrichment query to find
"Smith" but it will sometimes still find "Jones". It finds the old data
perhaps 1 in 50 times."

If this is being run against the Postgres server my guess is that
synchronous_commit=on is causing the commit on the server to wait for
the WAL records to be flushed to disk and this is not happening in a
timely manner in the '... 1 in 50 times' you mention. In that case you
see the old values not the new committed values. This seems to be
confirmed when you set synchronous_commit=off and don't see old values.
For completeness per:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/wal-async-commit.html

"However, for short transactions this delay is a major component of the
total transaction time. Selecting asynchronous commit mode means that
the server returns success as soon as the transaction is logically
completed, before the WAL records it generated have actually made their
way to disk. This can provide a significant boost in throughput for
small transactions.

Asynchronous commit introduces the risk of data loss. There is a short
time window between the report of transaction completion to the client
and the time that the transaction is truly committed (that is, it is
guaranteed not to be lost if the server crashes).  ...
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Daniel McKenzie
Сообщение: Re: Unexpected data when subscribing to logical replication slot
От: Vidyashree H S
Сообщение: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster