Re: Point in Time Recovery

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Point in Time Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 23:42, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 22:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > To have a consistent recovery at all, you must replay the log starting
> > > from a checkpoint before the backup began and extending to the time that
> > > the backup finished.  You only get to decide where to stop after that
> > > point.
> > >

> > So the situation is:
> > - You must only stop recovery at a point in time (in the logs) after the
> > backup had completed.
> >
> > No way to enforce that currently, apart from procedurally. Not exactly
> > frequent, so I think I just document that and move on, eh?
>
> If it happens, could you use your previous full backup and the PITR logs
> from before stop stopped logging, and then after?

Yes.

> Is there a period
> where they could not restore reliably?

Good question. No is the answer.

The situation is that the backup isn't timestamped with respect to the
logs, so its possible to attempt to use the wrong backup for recovery.

The solution is procedural - make sure you timestamp your backup files,
so you know which ones to recover with...

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)