Re: Best setup for RAM drive

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Best setup for RAM drive
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing kirjutas T, 04.03.2003 kell 22:57:
> Chris Sutton kirjutas T, 04.03.2003 kell 17:03:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need some insight on the best way to use a RAM drive in a Postgresql
> > installation.  Here is our situation and current setup:
> >
> > Postgresql 7.2.1
> > Dual PIII 800
> > RAID 5 SCSI disks
> > Platypus 8GB PCI QikDrive (the RAM drive).  http://www.platypus.net
> >
> > The Platypus RAM drive is a PCI card with 8GB of ram onboard with an
> > external power supply so if the main power to the server goes off, the RAM
> > is still powered, so it's persistent between reboots.

> > Any suggestions?

One more suggestion - you should surely tweak configuration parameters -
for example ramdom read will no more be more expensive than sequential
read.

I'm not sure if postgresql will automatically compensate for possible
reading of a data page several times when doing index scans so the above
suggestion may not be entirely true.

Hannu