Re: some random() clarification needed

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: some random() clarification needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/14/20 9:01 AM, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
> your answer helps me understand my first problem.
> so, I rewrote a simple loop so as to avoid the "volatile" behaviour.
> (at least I was thinking I did... looks like I was wrong !)
> step by step loop:
> DO $$
> BEGIN
>    FOR counter IN 1..1000 LOOP
> begin
> declare
> id1 integer =ceiling(random()*2582);
> id3 date= '2000-01-01';
> id2 date;
> pren varchar;
> begin
> id2=id3 + (random()*7200)::integer;
> SELECT prenom FROM prenoms WHERE id=id1 into pren;
> INSERT INTO testparttransac (datenaissance, prenoms) values(id2,pren);
>    end;
> end;
> END LOOP;
> END; $$;
>
> I truncated the table, executed the loop with no errors, and expected
> that a select count(*)
> may answer 1000 !
> no.
> it varies, from less than 1000 (much less, something like 900)
> and more than 1000 (up to 1094)
>
> so... what s "volatile" in the loop ?

I think it has more to do with the structure of the function. Not sure
how all those nested BEGINs interact, but when I simplify the above to:

DO $$

DECLARE
     id1 integer =ceiling(random()*2582);
     id3 date= '2000-01-01';
     id2 date;
     pren varchar = 'test';
BEGIN

FOR counter IN 1..1000 LOOP
     id2 = id3 + (random()*7200)::integer;
     INSERT INTO testparttransac (datenaissance, prenoms) values(id2,pren);
END LOOP;
END; $$;

I get 1000 rows each time I TRUNCATE testparttransac and then run above
and repeat.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: single table - fighting a seq scan
От: Michael Nolan
Сообщение: Re: Problem with FDW wrapper errors